Singapore is a city that never sleeps, with its vibrant culture, delicious food, and an incredible array of attractions. From towering skyscrapers to lush green spaces, there is always something to see and do. However, navigating the city can be a challenge, particularly if you’re not familiar with the public transportation system. While buses and trains are readily available, sometimes it’s more convenient to have your own car to move around.
Unfortunately, owning a car in Singapore can be extremely expensive, with high taxes and import fees driving up the cost. Thankfully, there are alternatives that can help you get around the city without breaking the bank – by renting or sharing a car. But, is one better than the other? Let’s explore the differences between these two services.
Learn More: Is It Better To Lease Or Buy A Car In Singapore?
Renting a car revolves around renting a vehicle for a specific period of time, usually on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
Advantages of Renting A Car In Singapore
• Wide Variety Of Vehicles To Choose From – Whether you are looking for a compact car for a quick drive to the other side of the island, a luxurious MPV for a special occasion or for a long-term usage, renting a car gives you the flexibility to choose the perfect vehicle that meets your needs and style. With a wide variety of vehicles to choose from, you’ll never have to settle for a one-size-fits-all solution.
• Cheaper In The Long Run – By opting for a weekly rental instead of an hourly rental, you can often save money by taking advantage of the more affordable rate. Plus, with longer rental periods, you can make use of special discounts and promotions that come along with the rental.
• Cars Will Be Delivered To Your Doorstep – From economy to premium car rentals, the hassle of picking up your vehicle at a rental office is eliminated as Hertz Singapore offers the option to have your car delivered straight to your doorstep. This can be especially beneficial if you’re short on time or don’t have access to transportation.
Disadvantages Of Renting A Car In Singapore
• Have To Rent A Car In Advance – Unlike taxis or other ride-sharing services, you can’t simply hail a rental car on the spot. This means you’ll need to plan ahead and make a reservation before you arrive at your destination. Although you can still book your car online, this can still be disadvantageous if you’re someone who likes to be spontaneous or change your travel plans frequently. But with proper planning and foresight, you can still enjoy the benefits of renting a car without running into these issues.
Sharing a car involves joining a car sharing service as a member to book a car when needed. Members typically pay a membership fee and an hourly rate to use the car, making it ideal for those who only need a car occasionally,
Advantages of Car Sharing
• Same-day Booking – Same-day booking can be a lifesaver for those who need a car on short notice. Whether you’re dealing with an unexpected travel emergency or simply forgot to book a rental car in advance, you can reserve a car on the spot and be on your way in no time with car-sharing services.
• Competitive Hourly Rates – Instead of renting a car for an entire day or week, car sharing offers competitive hourly rates which can be more cost-effective as you only pay for the time you use the car.
Disadvantages Of Car Sharing
• Limited Choices Of Vehicles – Since car sharing services usually have a limited number of vehicles in their fleet, you may not be able to find the exact car you want. This can be inconvenient especially if you have specific requirements, such as the size or type of vehicle.
• Requires A Membership Fee – While the fee may not be significant, it can still be an extra cost that you have to consider when deciding whether to use a car sharing service. Some services may also require you to pay an annual or monthly fee, even if you only use the service occasionally.
• Vehicle Is Placed At A Designated Spot – Car sharing services require you to pick up and drop off the car at a designated spot, inconveniencing you if the area is not easily accessible. This can add extra time and hassle to your trip, especially if you have to travel out of your way to return the car.
Ultimately, when it comes to renting or sharing a car, it all depends on your individual needs and preferences. Whether you are looking for convenience, flexibility or cost savings, both options have something to offer. If you need a car immediately, car sharing might be the better option. But if you are looking for a wide variety of vehicles to choose from and the convenience of having a car delivered to your doorstep, a car rental in Singapore may be the way to go.
Do look through the wide fleet of modern vehicles offered by Hertz Singapore at the most attractive rates for all your mobility needs. Contact us today to know more!